Doctors @ Teneriffe offers Mirena insertion in our rooms in inner city Brisbane as a part of our services in our Women’s Health Clinic. Mirena has been a very popular form of birth control in recent times as it offers effective and long term contraception.
What is Mirena?
Mirena is an intrauterine device (IUD) that releases a small amount of hormone inside the uterus. It is made of soft and flexible plastic and offers effective contraception that last for up to 5 years. Mirena has been a very popular form of birth control as it has a number of benefits:
1. Highly Effective – It has an efficacy rate of more than 99% in preventing pregnancy and is one of the most effective forms of birth control.
2. Convenient – It lasts for up to 5 years but you can remove it anytime before that if you like.
3. Reversible – You can try to conceive as soon as Mirena is removed and there is no delay in fertility.
4. Minimises periods – Mirena can be used as an effective option to manage heavy periods.
5. Oestrogen free – Mirena is a progestogen only contraception and is used commonly in people who have intolerance or side effects with oestrogen containing products.
Mirena prevents pregnancy by:
- thickening the cervical mucus so it stops sperm from entering the uterus
- thins the lining of the uterus and making the uterus an unfavourable environment for implantation to occur.
Mirena does not prevent STIs so it is recommended to still use barrier methods if you are concerned about contracting STI. For women who have never had children, mirena insertion is still an option and Dr. Fiona will do an assessment to determine if insertion can be done in our rooms or be referred to a Tertiary centre.
Mirena is only one of the many contraception options. If you are not sure what is right for you, our doctors would be happy to discuss the options available so you can find a contraception that is right for you.
Dr. Megan Morris have special interests in women’s health and are available for Mirena insertion in our rooms. A pre-insertion appointment is required to ensure that Mirena is the right choice for you and to discuss any questions you may have about the procedure.